It’s rough caring about so much shit all the time, amiright? Life gives us enough personal tough stuff, and then society comes along throws a bunch of other stuff at us.
For instance, as my husband can attest actually happened a few months ago, sometimes you’re having a fine day and then you find out the Right to Life of Michigan is using insane, backchannel legislative methods to push an extreme, anti-choice bill into law, even though our Republican governor already vetoed it, and you have a complete emotional meltdown. Other times, there’s another shooting in another public place and you can’t even. You can’t even. Sometimes you read a headline about another female celebrity bragging about how she’s not a feminist, and it takes over the rest of your day with rage posting. And other days you are so freaked out about the yelling and screaming over Obamacare that you can’t even yell back anymore, you just want walk into traffic, even though that would result in medical bills so high you would be financially ruined for life because everyone won’t stop yelling about making healthcare affordable and not stupid, OH MY GOD, HILLARYHURRYUPANDSAVEUSFROMTHISALREADY.
It’s overwhelming. Sometimes you have to turn off the news for a bit. In fact, turning off the news might not even be enough. No, I think I need to fight back against the frustration and rage by thinking of all the things other people care a lot about but I don’t at all, to marinate in my apathy on these topics, to bask in the glory of caring not at all.
So here’s a therapeutic list of things that legitimately matter to some people, just not me:
I don’t care that the NSA spies on us. Hi guys! Thanks for reading my blog. I welcome the extra page views.
- I don’t care if people hunt for wolves in Michigan. I also don’t care if people are stopped from hunting wolves. I know nothing about it. Others seem to be hashing it out just fine.
- I don’t care about Miley Cyrus or anything she does or what anybody thinks about it. Like, at all.
- I don’t care if stores are open on Thanksgiving. I’m not going shopping. No one I know is going shopping. Working on holidays sucks, but a lot of people do it.
- I don’t care what Google is doing on those barges.
- I also don’t care that people are freaked out about Google Glass. It’s just a gadget that does a thing.
- I don’t care when people wear leggings that aren’t technically pants. Not my visible buttcrack, not my problem.
Phew! That felt good! I don’t care about any of those things at all!
What don’t you care about? Feel free to share.